Spaghetti and Meatballs Recipe Type: Entree Cuisine: Italian Author: Kate Hamilton Serves: 6 servings This is my all-time favorite spaghetti and meatballs recipe. The meatballs are baked, while the tomato sauce is great jarred. Ingredients
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 slices white bread, crumbled (or 1 1/2 cups store-bought bread crumbs)
- 2 lb. ground chuck
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tbls. chopped parsley
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tbls. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. fennel
- 1 tbls. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 1/2 tbls. dried basil leaves
- 1 (3 ounces) can tomatoes (peeled and diced)
- 2 cans (16 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 package spaghetti
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Meatballs: Preheat oven to 450F. In medium ball, beat eggs slightly. Add milk and bread; mix well. Let stand 5 minutes. Add chuck, onion, parsley, garlic, salt and pepper; mix until well-blended. Shape into 24 meatballs, 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Place in well-greased, shallow baking pan. Bake uncovered; 30 minutes.
- Sauce: In 5-quart dutch oven in hot oil, over medium heat, saute onions and garlic until golden. Add remainder of sauce ingredients and 1/2 cup water, mashing tomatoes with wooden spoon. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 1/2 hour. Add meatballs and drippings; simmer, covered, 1 hour longer, stirring occasionally.
- Cook spaghetti as package label directs; drain. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Serve and enjoy.