Hello dear reader. I am in search of your helpful advice. I am looking for podcasts. Specifically knitting podcasts, but I’m also interested in quality music, eco-friendly and helpful podcasts. Here’s what I’m subscribing to now:
- Grammar Girl’s Quick & Easy Tips—This is a quick podcast going into grammar idiosyncrasies. Stuff like is the phrase “you’ve got mail” grammatically correct?
- iTunes New Music Tuesday—Probably the best quick update on new music. Clips of songs last about 10 seconds or a little longer and cover the spectrum of genres. The podcast also mentions iTunes Single of the Week and free downloads so you can take advantage of a good thing. Sometimes there’s a little too much latin, but I just fast forward through those parts.
- NPR: All Songs Considered—Bob Boilen might be my hero. This is a great overall review. He’s been around long enough to know good music. Periodically there are seasonal previews of upcoming music to be released and at the end of the year, there’s a holiday episode and a year in review. This is a longer podcast, so good for a longer commute.
- NPR: Live Concerts from All Songs Considered—This podcast features hour-long concerts. Hour-long concerts people! Of cool bands like She & Him, The Tings Tings, Kaki King. Just remember to limit how many you sync or you’ll quickly fill up your iPod.
- Knit Picks’ Podcast—Probably my favorite fiberly flavored podcast. The host Kelley Petkun (owner of Knit Picks) offers useful information in a light hearted way. The last episode I listened to featured the ins and outs of lace knitting. Fun!
- Learn French with Coffee Break French—Also a new podcast subscription, I’m going to learn French again. Bien!
- Make-It Green: Quick & Dirty Tips—A new subscription and a cousin of Grammar Girl, this podcast has five-minute episodes that give you background information and tips on living a greener life.
- LIME Daily Audio Podcast—A useful life tips podcast.
There are a few podcasts, I haven’t tried out yet. I’m “testing” them, meaning I’ve downloaded a few episodes to sample. Here are those podcasts:
- Planet Green Podcast—Another eco-friendly podcast
- Pointy Sticks—A knitting podcast
- Ready Set Knit—Another knitting podcast
- Tara Stiles Yoga—Yoga videos, obviously
- TreeHugger Radio—From the web guys over at TreeHugger; eco news
- YOGAmazing—Yoga again
Ones I’ve tried and just can’t get into include:
- IndieFeed (all varities)—There’s nothing wrong with it, I just can’t keep up with the format. They stream one song per day with a host giving a little intro of the song in the beginning and summary of the artist at the end. You can’t really do anything with the tracks since there’s stuff before and after and I would rather have a summary show that I get more out of.
- Knit Science—I thought it was going to be more focused on informative topics, but it’s more of a personal podcast. Nothing wrong with it, just not what I’m looking for.
- Limenviolet—Again, more personal stories then information.
- Socks in the City—Personal journal podcast, plus I’m not sure I need any more help knitting socks.
In my searching, I have discovered the Podcast Junkies group on Ravelry where they have a “List your top 3 podcasts” thread. Also on Rav is a FiberPodcasts wiki page, also helpful. These will probably grow my podcast list immediately.
So if you have recommendations, thoughts, etc. that you want to lend my way, I’m on the hunt for quality podcasts.