So one green thing is underway. It’s been a week and I have made a few small changes that hopefully in the end will make a bigger impact. But I started to think, what do I want to do to help with a sustainable, eco-friendly, green world? What can one person do to really make a difference?
I realized that everyone needs an eco-wishlist—a collection of small steps one can strive to make toward a Mamma Earth sustaining existence. Here are a few of mine that I want to cross off my list during the course of this project.
- Purge/recycle old bills.
- Use reusable cup when buying Starbucks beverages.
- Use less toilet paper per use.
- Start a compost pile.
- Switch to a biodegradable litter.
- Reduce my total plastic consumption.
- Recycle prescription bottles.
- Urge my office to change from disposable plastic utensils to donated reusable silverware.
- Download music and programs whenever possible, thus reducing packaging and shipping resources used.
- Turn off the computer when not in use.
- Use the dishwasher.
- Donate old and unwanted clothes.
- Buy organic food.
- Switch from paper bags to a reusable insulated lunch bag.
- Use my PDA for all lists; scrap the paper”to do” lists.
- Recycle old gym shoes with the Nike program.
- Reduce accumulated waste each week by half.
- Switch to eco-friendly house cleaning products and soaps.
- Choose a all-natural variety lip balm instead of petroleum-based.
- Replace liquid shampoo with a shampoo bar.
- Buy eco-friendly, biodegradable garbage bags.
- Find a pump hairspray alternative over aerosol.
- Purchase more recycled products.
- Reduce my total junk mail intake.
- Choose ethanol over pure gasoline options.
- Reduce the number of plastic bags consumed in my household.
I do have some areas of concern that I’m not quite sure about eco-friendly options as of yet. Research will be conducted on the following:
- Toiletries plastic waste: toothpaste tubes, hair care products, deodorant
Update: Check out my progress by viewing my eco-wishlist.